10.31.2011

Video Music Monday - "Thriller"



I think it is only fitting that on Halloween, this video is the only one worth reviewing.

In 1982, Michael Jackson (R.I.P.) produced one of the most epic music video/mini-films of all time. Though I wasn't born anywhere close to the time this video premiered, this first time, I saw it, I definitely didn't expect M.J. to do anything like it. After watching "Bad" and "Billy Jean" (my favorite M.J. track, by the way), "Thriller" was a complete change of concept and idea. I don't think anyone at the time though M.J. would come up with something like this from his head. It was edgy, scary and genius all at once. The dance sequence at 8:29 is probably one of the best ever in music video history. I remember trying to do the same shuffle in the mirror when I was younger, but I could never pull off the whole routine, for some reason (I wonder why). This video has affected pop culture so much that even Party City has made a homage for their Halloween commercials.



There's no doubt that Michael Jackson, "Thriller" and zombies will forever live in infamy. Happy Halloween to everyone and I hope all of you big kids out there got to dress up this weekend and have fun.

*This Halloween, I'll be "dressed" as a UPS seasonal driver helper because that's my job. Not exactly creative, but real.

-Video Vix[o]n

No comments: