10.28.2011

Gorilla V-I-X-O-N



*This post has nothing to do with the Biggie-esque type rapper, but when I think Gorilla, he was my first thought.

I was recently watching my Youtube subs and watch one of my new subscriptions, David Bolen. An aspiring filmmaker from California, he has a channel where he makes daily videos about his film experiences, going to school and making a name for himself. In his video, he does a review of a book called "Guerilla Filmmaking."



He makes some valid points; reading is fundamental to becoming a filmmaker and the two routes to becoming a recognized filmmaker have their upsides and downsides. If I had to choose which style of filmmaker I am, between independent or commercial, independent would fit the bill. Though I see Bolen as a little of both (after seeing some of his work), I can tell he has an independent way of approaching his passion. I, on the other hand, am a bit more guerilla in style.

Like James Cameron, I never went to film school and have a lack of film experience. But unlike James, I didnt read a few books over the span of years and gain the knowledge and resources to make world renowned movies. I'd like to say that I'm still at square one when it comes to filmmaking; almost to say I haven't produced a real good film that i can be proud of. Dont get me wrong, I have made/been a part of some productions that have been shared, by a small audience (my college friends). I've never experience the casting process, actual producing, having a defined role and sticking to it, etc. I, one day, wish to produce a successful feature/short series and be proud(er) of what I've done.

The opportunity has presented itself to me recently by being invited to b a director for a short pilot of a story adapted to film by a writer I knew from the blog-sphere a while ago. This would be my first time directing anything this organized, so im a little nervous. The usual doubts come to mind; what if im not strong enough? What if I'm not good at directing? Will my colleagues take me seriously? All of these doubts may still linger one the project begins, but I know I wont be alone and there no better way to gain experience than to experience. As one of my favorite T-shirts states, it's time to become "fiercely independent."

No comments: