3.02.2011

No Rest for the Nameless



For those who don't make videos on Youtube, you may not know this, but it is a really challenging job. And I call it a job because, despite not being paid for it, it takes a lot of time and energy to release an original piece of work per week, especially with a lack of resources. I will tell you right now, it is tiring. This video is a slight exaggeration of how I feel when it comes to making a video for the week. Being consistent is no easy task, especially for me, who has always had issues with consistency (this blog being an example).


I recently started my new job for a company named Mission Critical Services. Working from home, my day consist of waking up at 8:30am and talking on the phone and looking at my computer until 5pm. Then, when I'm done with work, I start to "work," which consist of writing scripts for upcoming videos, actually shooting videos, editing, photoshopping, promoting, updating, blasting, all on top of staying on top of the multiple other projects that I will like to get accomplished. On my wall, I listed all of the things that I would like to accomplish or in other words, the dreaded "To-Do" List (it's actually formed like a pyramid, with priorities not necessarily placed in order of importance). Outside of never getting half of these things done, my day starts from 8:30am to "whenever-I-feel-sleepy-a.m." and the whole process starts again. Don't get me wrong, having a job is wonderful and I'm saving up money for my new camera, but the chunk of the day that I spend on my computer calling people could be used to progress my "video empire." To me, that has always been the catch 22 of employment; I need a job in order to have money, but that job takes away from the time I need to do what I want and I need money to do half of the things I want to do.

As I write this entry, I'm suffering from lack of sleep because of being up on BlogTV all night promoting the same video you see above, which is not even my best work. My creative juices are drying up. The ideas are coming to me, it's just implementing them which is becoming the problem. I don't know whether it's my lack of ambition or doing everything by myself which is taking a toll on me, but it's not resulting in the best videos that I know I can make. I have to find a way to balance work, "work," and play. Then again, that would make me like everyone else trying to find a balance in their lives. Ironically, the time I need rest is when I start getting the most motivation to become better.

-Video Vix[o]n

No comments: