1.31.2013

Would You Pay for Youtube?



When I first heard about Youtube introducing paid subscriptions for certain channels, I was initially surprised and confused about how Youtube can charge people to watch content on their site. After thinking about it, I had to consider that Youtube (ultimately Google) is a business and their main goal is to make money, so testing out a subscription based model for channels on their site isn't a bad idea for them. A lot of people, however, don't feel the same.

Youtube has always been a platform for people to watch and share videos for free, so many people don't like the idea for paying for free stuff, respectfully. For me, I had to really think about would I really pay for Youtube. From the amazing things I have seen from some creators on Youtube, I feel guilty that I'm not paying for some of the content. According to the article, certain channels are going to be a part of this paid subscription program, charging $1-$5 per month for a subscription to the channel. For me, as "economically aware" that I am, I wouldn't mind paying for a Youtube channel, but it really depends on what content the channel is offering.

For example, if a Youtube channel was going to show old television shows that can't be found online (such as Netflix, Hulu Plus) or high quality content from independent creators (I honestly feel YOMYOMF is worth a paid subscription based), I wouldn't mind paying a small low-end fee a month. This system is going to be implemented this Spring 2013, so we'll have to see what channels have the paid-sub model and who will be willing to subscribe and pay. In the end, I will be upset if certain channels receive this model that I feel don't deserve it, but then again, I don't have to sub to pay; the magic of Youtube. At least we still have the power of choice.

What do you think? Would you pay for Youtube?

-Video Vix[o]n

No comments: