1.31.2012

Frame x Frame: Shots in the Street

*Before I continue this post, I will disclaim that I am NOT a photographer, but a man with a nice camera who likes to take pictures. There is a difference. 

Yesterday, while I was out in the street and had some time to kill, I would take a couple of pictures. I wasn't prepared to just snap at any random thing or object; I was going to shoot people walking by. In preparation for NYC's Fashion Week, happening in a couple of weeks, I wanted to practice taking some street-style photography, which is a popular art among most freelance and fashion photographers. My initial feelings were nervous and excited. There I was, standing in the middle of Downtown Brooklyn, with camera in hand, ready to capture the most fashionable people to my eye. 

(Click FULL ALBUM to see all the pictures)

At first, it was hard to take pictures of people because everyone was walking fast and I was afraid to get in a person's face with a camera, so most of the shots were taken from behind (a lot of people have this hidden fear of cameras, which I dub "camerophobia"). Most shots were also too far away, due to the limited focal length of my lens (in other words, I wasn't able to zoom in closer to take better shots). I learned that speed and precision is crucial when taking street photos. I almost felt like a street assassin; I had to stoop down for the shot, aim accurately and shoot my subject all before they either "dodged" the shot (moved out of the way), or walked off. Not prepared to chase someone down for a picture, there were some good opportunities that got away, but I stay determined to capture some good stills. Outside of speed and accuracy, courtesy was another tool that I didn't realize could come in handy. Most people, when asked if a picture can be taken of them by a random stranger, immediately raise their defenses with a load of questions and rejections. Aware of this, I experimented on two individuals by asking nicely if I can take their picture. After I explained it was for my blog, they politely and skeptically inclined and I took the shot, no bloodshed. 

After my shooting spree in the street, I reviewed my photos over a nice hot chocolate from Dunkin' Donuts. I noticed, throughout the day, I kept shooting women with red jackets on. After noticing this, I was determined to find more ladies with red jackets on, as to develop a theme. I think that inspiration came from the mind of Bill Cunningham (an extraordinary street-style photographer for the NY Times; his documentary was amazing). He would usually find a common trend to focus on and find people in the street with a similar style or look. Though not intentional, I did catch a few red-topped ladies, which in Cunningham fashion, I called the style trend "Cherry on Top." My favorite pictures were of people in motion, whether crossing the street (which is the best place and time to take pictures of people), running for some reason, or just standing around, waiting for something. Overall, it was also a challenge to find people who I considered fashionable, but I went about it by finding the people most well put together and unique in my taste.

After all this, I have something to show off and be proud of. I wish I had a better lens for street photos and some more experience capturing people in the moment, but as I said in the beginning, I'm just a man with a nice camera who likes to take pictures.

-Video Vix[o]n

No comments: