11.09.2011

D-I-Y before you BUY

During this content drought that Ive been suffering (mainly due to time restraints), Ive been thinking of ways to improve my equipment for whenever I do make a video again, as well as in the future. Sometimes, I slip into the immature mentality of getting better equipment, which I think would make my videos better, but it's never how good the tool is; it's the wielder that uses it. In the meanwhile, I figure that a good wielder should build their arsenal to be prepared for any situation. This lead to me deciding to do it on my own. Ive always been a little hesitant when it came to DIY projects because I always thought I wouldnt be able to get the right supplies or I wasn't that handy, but after watching a few videos like this one from Indy Mogul's Backyard FX, I think I got this down packed.



It's a shame I didnt discover BFX earlier considering they recently stopped the series. Their series finale was a homage to the amazing advice they were able to give to their audience for the past couple of years with making cheap and useful video equipment and props for amateur filmmakers to utilize. The amazing thing is, even though the series is over, thanks to them, I have a free library of cheap film techniques at my exposure to explore and learn.

I think the concept of DIY was popularized by crafty people who didnt have the financial means to afford the high end versions to the products they desired. Becoming a DIY noobie would be a good experience for me to become more independent in my filmmaking ventures, as well as save some pennies, which I need to do tremendously. I also think that creating something on your own is one of the most fulfilling feelings anyone can experience, on top of putting ones personal touch on their creations. Of course, I will keep you all up to speed with my DIY endeavors, along with the trial and errors, and soon have something to show off and use in upcoming videos. Cheers to self creation; the fuel to innovation.

-Video Vix[o]n

No comments: